Before moving it is important that you know everything you need to do so that your new house is ready to enjoy it without problems.
Imagine how terrible it is to get to your new home and not have electricity, gas or water. And if you have these services, your surprise will be worse when you see that the air conditioning or heating does not work, there are some electrical problems or leaks, among other things.
To avoid these nightmares, take action early. Here are the most important things to keep in mind.
1. Make an inspection of your new home ahead of time.
- Check the box or board of the electrical circuit, making sure that the labels next to each switch that, for example, say Kitchen, Bathroom, Living, etc., are located correctly. Do this by removing or turning off each switch (one by one) to find out which room in the house they belong to. You can also hire an electrician to check the condition of the electrical box (panel or board) and if it is necessary to repair or replace it with a new one.
- Check your fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to see if they work well, need batteries, or need replacement.
- Buy fire extinguishers.
- Have a professional inspect the A / C unit, water heater, etc.
- Locate the water stopcock. It is important to know where the stopcock is located, to be able to close it quickly if necessary.
2. Report your change of address at the post office and contact the credit card companies. Before moving you should notify your post office of your change of address to make sure you start receiving your mail in your new home. Contact credit card companies to avoid missing an invoice payment because it came to your old address or was lost.
3. Contact public service companies. When you get to your new house you will want to have basic services, such as electricity, gas, water and sewage, cable, Internet, telephone. So contact those companies in advance to set the transfer date of those services to your new address.
4. Update important documents. One month before moving, update your driver’s license, your vehicle registration, and your voter registration card.
5. Change the locks. If the house is empty and you haven’t moved in yet, it’s a good idea to change the door locks. Otherwise, change them the same day you move in. Better safe than sorry.
6. Check the condition of your home address sign. Your home address number should be clearly visible, especially if you are moving in with an agency. In addition, you will need your address to be clearly distinguished for the postman, postal delivery services, restaurant delivery services and your visitors to see. Buy a new sign if necessary.
7. Identify emergency exits in case of fire or catastrophe. Make sure the whole family knows how to get out of the house in case of fire incidents or any other catastrophe. Generally, everyone thinks of the front door of the house as the best option to escape outside, but it is good to have extra options in case you cannot use the front door.
8. Spray and do a deep clean. If your new home is empty and you have access to it before you move in, be careful to fumigate. Although you do not see insects, it is very likely that they exist. You don’t want to fumigate with harsh chemicals when the family is present and the furniture is already in place. Once the fumigation has taken effect it is a good time to do a deep cleaning on floors, walls, windows, etc. Since the house is empty you will be able to clean even the most hidden corners, which will not be so easy once the curtains and furniture are in place.
9. Check your inventory list to see if your belongings arrived well. Whether you have made the move yourself or with a moving company, check what you have against your inventory list to make sure that all your belongings arrived safely. If you use a moving company you can claim for lost or damaged objects. And if necessary, you can claim your insurance agency.
10. Have a medicine cabinet ready. Removals are conducive to someone getting scratched, hit, or just getting a headache. Have it ready because it will continue to be very useful in the future. Put it in a place in the house where adults can access it, out of the reach of children, checking regularly that the medications are current. On the medicine cabinet door, put a label with the telephone numbers of the emergency contacts in your area. With these preventive measures, you can now send your new address to all your contacts and throw a party to open your new home.
When you have done all these the excitement of starting to furnish everything to your own taste and style starts to creep in and this can lead to buying things you don’t need, spending more money than budgeted; therefore you should keep in mind what your priorities are to avoid these mistakes.
The key is not to despair if it is not fully equipped from the first day, a good option is that you can go little by little looking for what is necessary for you.
Next, I present a series of things that will help you choose the most essential for your home. Pay attention!
For your room:
-Bed. It can not be missed in your new home, make sure it is comfortable and perfect to rest.
-Bed sets (sheet, on sheets, covers, and good pillows), this matches your bed. In addition, you can add the nightstand, the air conditioning to complement this personal space.
For the kitchen:
-The stove and fridge is the most essential thing for our kitchen, with these two elements we can survive for a couple of days alone. A cooluli mini fridge would be perfect. It can store up to six 12 oz. cans. With an external power supply of 110v, the mini fridge can run on both AC and DC and also has USB power cords that makes it easy to use when in transit. Perfect for keeping your food products fresh and warm all day long.You can check out cooluli mini fridge electric cooler and warmer review online. Also, you can complement some appliances such as the microwave oven, blender.
-Other implements like cooking such as pots, pans, and jugs. Don’t forget cutlery and knives to eat.
-More implements could be: Chopping board, juicer, drainer, containers for the fridge.
For the toilet:
-The washing machine is a priority so you don’t have to spend on dry cleaning.
-To do a good cleaning of the home you need this: broom, dustpan, rag, liquids to disinfect, to clean and flavor. It is important to keep a clean and shiny space.
– In the bathroom you will need bath soap, to bathe and to wash your hands. You can add toilet paper and toiletries to the priority list.
Other additional things:
-The curtains are very important for your home, they cut the light in the morning and avoid exposing the windows.
-Furniture and decoration must be according to your style and will depend on how you want it.
I hope you find these details useful, as they are basic, but they are still important when starting to establish yourself in a serious and functional way