Workplace accidents are common! There have been instances where workers fell off from the ladder and got injured. Workers can also get hurt while carrying heavy boxes and have carpal tunnel syndrome. Here the worker’s compensation lawyer can assist the injured workers to recover from the compensation for all these injuries, which comprise of lost wages and medical bills as well.
- Medical benefits
- Permanent total disability benefits
- Temporary partial disability benefits
- Permanent partial disability benefits
- Vocational rehabilitation benefits
- Wage reimbursement benefits
A compensation attorney is aware of how all these benefits apply to the workers and represent the cases accordingly. To know more about this, you can check out Strategic Family Lawyers.
The overall duty of the attorney
The objective of the worker’s compensation attorney is to represent the claimant, who is the injured worker so that he or she can attain benefits. The aim of the lawyer representing the defendant that can be the employer’s insurance company or employer is to resolve the defendant’s liability. The usual job functions of the worker’s compensation lawyer are:
- Conduct discovery
- Conducting a legal search
- Collect medical records and evidence
- Take the depositions of the physicians, medical experts, claimants, and various other parties
- Know all the latest law developments
- Litigate the cases before the referee or a judge
- Drafting the pleadings, and finding the opinions, motions, briefs, facts and multiple documents
The special claimant lawyer duties
The workers’ compensation attorneys on the claimant side need to have a working compensation of the entire claims filing procedure. They should also have compassion for the worker who got injured. Hence, the lawyer who will represent the claimant should:
- Answer the clients’ questions and guide them all through the entire compensation process
- Represent the claimant interests at the depositions, hearings, oral arguments, trials, arbitrations, mediations and various other proceedings
- Contact the medical providers and complete all relevant paperwork for the claim
- Negotiate the settlement representing the claimant
- Help the injured worker with advantages, which also add correct medical care
- Interact with the worker’s supervisor on the injured worker’s status
The best claimant lawyer usually possesses excellent negotiation skills that get based on a correct assessment of the case’s worth. All the discussed and analysis gets based on ground realities and facts.
The know-how and skills
The workers’ compensation attorney also needs various skills and know-how to excel in their job. Some of the crucial legal skills required are:
- Good trial experience
- Good negotiation skills
- Good litigation experience
- A vital analytical and research aptitude
- Good written communication skills
- Work independently and with a team
- The know-how of the worker’s compensation laws and the procedures it follows.
- Skill and capacity to undertake huge caseloads and execute multiple duties under various timelines
- Have a clear understanding of engineering, medical, products, construction, scientific issues that are present in the worker compensation legal cases
- Have the correct technology skills that comprise Microsoft Office proficiency and other various other legal research platforms
These are some of the duties and deliverables of a workers’ compensation attorney. It is essential to know these pointers before you join hands with one.